Cook It Tonight!
Take Control Staff
Our "Cook It Tonight!" series, this week features two more quick and easy recipes that you'll love.
Cheese Burger Lettuce Wraps and Sweet Potato Fries
Time: 55 minutes
Coach Katie D. prepared this recipe for a new weight loss program we are developing. It's the perfect way to show that you don't have to give up burgers and fries to lose weight. Great recipe choices and simple modifications are all you need to eat well and lose weight.
Source: Life In The Lofthouse
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 slices cheese –any type
- 2 large heads iceburg or romaine lettuce rinsed and dried
- 2 tomatoes sliced thin
- small red onion sliced thin- if desired
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp dill pickle relish
- dash of salt and pepper
- Heat grill or skillet to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix meat and seasonings together.
- Divide mixture into 6 sections, then roll each into a ball. Press each ball down flat to form a patty.
- Place patties on grill/pan and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Mix ingredients for burger spread
- Place slice of cheese on each burger and burger on a large piece of lettuce. Top with spread and tomato slices and anything else you like.
Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients:
- 3 large or about 2lbs of orange fleshed sweet potatoes (yams)
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil – for more flavor
- 1-2 T of spice of choice, I prefer cinnamon (1-2 tsp) mixed with black pepper, and parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash yams.
- Peel yams and cut off the ends, I usually leave the skin on. Then cut in half lengthwise and if long, cut crosswise. Cut each piece into ¼-1/2-inch-thick wedges. You can also make disks if preferred.
- Place oil and seasonings in medium bowl, stir and add sliced potatoes, toss until well coated.
- Place on baking sheet and spread, place in oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Enjoy 1 burger and 1 cup of fries!
Classic White Chicken Chili
PREP COOK TOTAL
10 minutes 20minutes 30minutes
Coach Kat says: “this is a go to recipe for me. It is easy to double and freeze leftovers. And it is so yummy served with avocado toast.”
Source: Bush’s Best
- 1 can (16 oz) Bush’s® White Chili Beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ cup finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Red Onion
- In a large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent.
- Add chiles, flour and cumin; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken; cook until hot.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
PREP COOK TOTAL
3 minutes 0 minutes 3 minutes
Coach Kat loves this avocado toast with the Bush’s Best White Chicken Chili.
Photo credit: Jamie Vespa MS, RD
- ½ small avocado
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 oz.) slice whole grain bread, toasted
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Maldon sea salt flakes
- Red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gently mash with the back of a fork.
- Top toasted bread with mashed avocado mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over desired toppings.
For perfect avocado toast, ingredient quality is key. Use fresh, crusty whole-wheat bread and the best extra-virgin olive oil you can find. Maldon salt is widely available at grocery stores and its flaky texture is the perfect "dress up" salt.